After waiting at the dock for a bit, our ferry arrived, and we zigzagged across the fjord. We watched as one coast slipped away and we sailed toward the other edge towards old windmills and new hotels. We came back to the other side, covered in forest and beach, then went back, to new windmills and old thatched-roof houses.
When we docked, we walked along the beach at Shilksee while waiting to go to dinner at the restaurant on the pier for a welcome celebration. It was early evening, but already cool, so we walked along the beach with our bare feet in the warm sand to stay warm.
Despite the chill, we were crazy enough to stop for gelato (and smart enough to not pass up the best ice cream stop yet)! The sign advertised "16 super delicious flavors!" and it told the truth. I chose cherries and cream, which was slightly sweetened cream ice cream with sour cherries. Heaven in a cone. :)
I also (kind of) ate my first whole fish today. Kind of, because well, the eyes weren't there (thank goodness), and it was huge, and fish bones can be stealthy foes at dinner parties. Beware, and remember that flounder is not the wisest choice on formal occasions!
I'm glad the cherries and cream came on the same day as that big old bony fish! We LOVE your pictures! Kate looked at them with me and noted how brave and adventurous you are. Thanks for sharing : )!
ReplyDeleteThat's my girl standing in front of the oh so Hollandish sky! Ich liebe dich mehr als alle die Fahrraeder in den Niederlande! I hope every day gets funner and funner (I know, grammar boss). Xoxoxo, Daddy
ReplyDeleteActually, after all of the grammar today, I want to give you a BIG hug for NOT using correct grammar! : ) Thank you! Don't you love the sky? By the way, my beach (Falkensteinstrand) has a dike. Yep. A dike. xoxo
DeleteYou look adorable! So happy you're having such great fun. That gelato sounds heavenly. Your students are practicing hard and missing you ever so much! Xoxo
ReplyDeleteI'm missing them ever so much right back, and all of you! I hope you had a wonderful fourth! I thought of you!
Delete