Eight months ago, after the other adventures I've told you about, I went on off on a little journey all alone. Now, I've got some catching up to do, and I'm getting ready for another
adventure too.
After spending a little over five weeks in Kiel with my friends and dear host family, I took off on my own before heading home. I hopped up on a train to Hamburg, then up to Flensborg, and off to Copenhagen, where I spent four days alone (my mom thought I had been
taken... but I wasn't. In my defense, the internet didn't work. Sorry, Mom.).
 |
| Do you remember the beach? Well, in Copenhagen, this palace was just down the street, in a lovely park. It's not a palace anymore really- it's used for military training. Great though, right? |
So, what does one do in Copenhagen? Actually, what
doesn't one do in Copenhagen? But in my case, I did two things, which are really one thing. I walked, and I walked in museums. And Tivoli. (Which is even more magical than it sounded in
Number the Stars. More on that later).
A friend lent me her copy of
this book, which I would highly recommend. It has great walking routes and maps, if you ever happen to be in Copenhagen. It has about nine planned walks, if I remember correctly. You could take one a day, or, you could be like (way overenthusiastic) me and string them all together in a day and walk a marathon. : ) I'm a bit of an avid walker (which reminds me, I've the most lovely book to tell you about in a few posts. Stay tuned!).
What say we to some photos? I say yes.
So, here comes The Walk, Day One.
 |
| This is the first photo I took in Copenhagen, just after I bought my Copenhagen Card, and wandered towards the royal district. |
 |
| The best part of this picture? Bikes, always bikes. |
 |
| Flag, flag, happy flag. |
 |
| In the marble dome. |
 |
| Can you see her? Let's play Where's Waldo, except let's really play "Where's the Little Mermaid?" I love the Danish flags. They're so happy. I love the kids (unseen in the picture) who were looking out at the water and eating cinnamon sugar almonds. I love the island out there in the distance. And the red buildings on the island. |
 |
| Sometimes being a tourist is more fun than trying to blend. Like when you buy a hot dog (they're good in Copenhagen. And served in baguettes with creamy mustard) swing your legs over that wooden dock and listen to the gypsy violinist play "Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen." I love Copenhagen. I love old sailboats. I love the colors on these houses. I love Danny Kaye. |
 |
| In a star-shaped fortress. (It's a thing). |
 |
Very Kate Middleton, no? (Yes, that's me in the reflection)
That's day one. Day two is up next. : )
|
No comments:
Post a Comment